How we work

We are an online community of kind-hearted individuals who directly donate gently loved children's clothes to mothers who could use a little kindness. The wonderful donating mothers lovingly box up the clothes that they once loved their own kiddos in and send them for another mother to love on her children via the US Mail - Parcel Post. If you are in need, know someone in need or want to help by donating, please contact us at kindness@passitonbaby.com. If you can't do any of these but would like to spread our message - thank you kindly! ~ Elizabeth & Heather

Sunday, July 18, 2010

Bare Necessities...

Please note: If this is your first time visiting our blog, please click here to hear the premise of Pass It On, Baby! and how it all began.... Pass It On, Baby!

Many of you have probably heard of the classic movie Jungle Book. Well, it's a favorite in my house not only with my 2 year old but also with me. I hadn't watched that movie in ages until about 6 months ago when a friend gave me a copy for Cade (along with a whole box of other classic Disney's). One of my very favorite parts (oh and Cade's too!) is when Baloo the bear sings his infamous song - Bare Necessities. It's one of those songs that has a catchy beat and tune but it also makes you think. If you haven't heard it. Here is the chorus.

Look for the bare necessities
The simple bare necessities
Forget about your worries and your strife
I mean the bare necessities
Old Mother Nature's recipes
That brings the bare necessities of life


I'm hoping that its not only instilling good morals in Cade but it's also reminding me for myself each time I hear that funny song that the important things in life are the "bare necessities."

I know its true for me so I will only speak for myself but many times we work so hard to chase the things that really just aren't that important, that we forget to focus on the simple things that are. For me it's a reminder that the relationships with myself and others are really the most important. I get so worried about the "to do" list getting completed that I don't feel any sense of peace until it's done. I have my son's birthday thank you cards that haven't been written (from over a month ago), I have a house to put back together after a minor flooding last week, a client event next weekend and a bridal shower the following weekend. But honestly, it's songs like these that remind me that sometimes I'm working too hard on the things that don't really matter in the end. Sometimes, it's important to stop worrying about all the things that have to be done, stop running from thing to thing, and start enjoying the moment that has been provided to us. We can all get caught up in the mundane "have to's" in life but sometimes we need to take a minute, take a deep breath and "smell the roses".

Another favorite part of the song talks about searching for things that can't be found.

And don't spend your time lookin' around
For something you want that can't be found
When you find out that you can live without it 
And go along not thingkin' about it
I'll tell you something true

The bare necessities of life will come to you

I'm not sure about you, but that totally hits home for me. I get lost not only in the "to do" list but the never ending list of wants. They may not be major but still, sometimes they tend to take over what's important. All that "stuff" doesn't really matter. And if just attaining that next item on the want list or crossing off the next task from the "to do" list is the only thing that strings together the eventful times in life than we are definitely missing out on the simple pleasures that life can bless us with. Just spending some quality time alone or with family and friends in a simple way can be just as fulfilling if it we allow it. Today, for me, my quiet time meditating was by the pool listening to some newly downloaded music. That made my day! Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a trip to the mall like anyone or scheduling a getaway or planning that next girls night out, but simply put, the bare necessities is what makes up most of the meaning in our life.

So if not for you, but for my own benefit - I hope that you can relate to the song and the message of "Bare Necessities". Good 'ol Baloo had it well put. A great reminder and something for us all to think about.


~

I would like to point out though that it's very easy for me to say to focus on the bare necessities in life. Although I have in the past, I am not currently struggling to keep a roof over our head, clothes on our backs or food on our table. I know many hurting families (including some relatives) that are struggling to have even the barest of necessities in life. Many are struggling to provide just the basics to their children let alone their selves.

No matter our circumstance or economic status, we all need to release our worries and strife for but a moment to enjoy the children we have, the significant others or family and friends that have been blessed into our lives. However, if your bare necessities are being easily provided in your life, maybe you can consider helping a family whose necessities are not. Just a few gently used or new outfits for their child could help ease the burden they are carrying.

We have two single moms that have reached out recently that could use Pass It On, Baby's help - a single mother to 4 boys (one set of twins) and a single mother to 5 kids. Please email us if you'd like more information on where to ship clothes to these beautiful families. They would love to enjoy the Bare Necessities of life.

Just for a moment, forget about your worries and your strife. Relax and enjoy what is right in front of you, what this moment has to offer and Pass It On, Baby!

In love and kindness,



No comments:

Post a Comment