How we work

We are an online community of kind-hearted individuals who directly donate gently loved children's clothes to mothers who could use a little kindness. The wonderful donating mothers lovingly box up the clothes that they once loved their own kiddos in and send them for another mother to love on her children via the US Mail - Parcel Post. If you are in need, know someone in need or want to help by donating, please contact us at kindness@passitonbaby.com. If you can't do any of these but would like to spread our message - thank you kindly! ~ Elizabeth & Heather

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Hope for the holidays...

Please note: If this is your first time visiting our blog, please click here to hear the premise of Pass It On, Baby! and how it all began.... Pass It On, Baby!

Happy Belated Thanksgiving to all of you! We hope that you and yours enjoyed the holiday and remembered each and every blessing you had to be thankful for. We are thankful for each of you and the PIOB journey you allow us to share with you.

This is such an exciting time of year but also one that reminds me of how difficult it is for many families. Despite just the basic family anxiety some of us may endure during the holiday season, many of us share deeper worries and heartaches. I know speaking for myself, I tend to start thinking about loved ones who aren't here to celebrate the holiday season and family togetherness. Especailly, I think about my sister who has been gone over 10 years. I feel that each time my family is together there is a big empty space where her energy, smile and presence are very much missed. The dynamics just aren't the same. I am also struggling to figure out ways to create a Christmas I can be proud of but doing it on half the budget I have in Christmas' past. I know that it is what I make of it but sometimes I don't know how to create the same feeling with less things for me to give. Giving gifts has always been what I do best. And Christmas was the time I relished in giving to my family and friends. I am working on more creative gifts such as baked treats and more thoughtful gifts from the heart. In our consumeristic society - sometimes it's hard to believe that even with only that - a holiday can be enjoyed.

That leads me into sharing a story of a mother who is finding ways to do that with her own family. Sharlene contacted us back several months ago and has become such a joy to us in sharing her cooking ideas, sharing her stories on our blog and always being willing to donate when she can despite her own tough economic situation. Her husband has been out of work for quite some time but that doesn't stop this mother of 5 who works full-time and goes to school from creating the best holiday she can for her and her family.

I am, for the time being, working full time. I work part time as a teacher aide at a head start center and have managed to pick up some extra hours at another center working as a teacher aide and transportation aide. I never thought I'd be riding a school bus again, but it is fun! I have also been going to school full time. At first it was quite a challenge, mostly getting all the kids used to the fact that I am not quite as available as I have always been. I fell behind on my homework for a while, and started to get down about being able to do it all. I was also having a difficult time with my little three year old adjusting to everything. She is doing better now, and I am caught up on my homework. I work really hard trying to stay on top of things, sometimes spending as much as five hours on the computer on the weekends to do homework and do work for my internet class. It has definitely been a challenge not being able to spend as much time with my kids, but I know in the long run it is for the best. Financially, it is difficult right now. If not for the financial aide, I don't what I would do. Our public assistance benefits have been cut in half. I make less than $1,000 working full time. I just have to be very diligent about how I spend our money. My husband has been unemployed for a while, and currently brings in no income since his unemployment ran out. Trying to pay the bills and rent and provide for five kids is very difficult on $1,400 a month. Fortunately, I browse craigslist often and have been able to find some things on there for Christmas presents for far less than the price of new items. Right now, I am pretty far ahead on Christmas presents, but still have a ways to go.

Pass It On Baby! helped me tremendously when I needed it. My kids had to start school with pretty much nothing but some thrift store and yard sale finds and their clothes from last year that still fit. I couldn't even afford to go yard saling last year, so even the yard sale finds were not much. I received two boxes of clothes for my seven year old daughter, Macy, just in time for school. There were only a couple pairs of pants that were too big for her, but otherwise eveything fit and she was so happy when she opened the box! My little one, Alayna, also received two boxes from the same person. She wanted to wear everything "tomorrow". Everytime I showed her a new item she would say "That's so cute! I wanna wear that tomorrow!" She would have been wearing about ten outfits in one day! I think the most grateful was my daughter, Karissa, 14. She was in desperate need of bras and I did not realize how expensive young girls bras are at the store. She only had two bras, one which barely fit and the other was being held together by safety pins. She received a box full of about ten bras. I was extremely grateful for that one as well. I really want to thank everyone who donated to my family and Pass It On Baby! for making it possible.! Thank you!

Thank you to Sharlene for being willing to share her story with us and all of you. Many other people, including me and my own family, are going through difficulties this holiday season. Anything you can do to help lighten the load of someone through Pass It On, Baby! or any other person or organization that is put in your path - please take the time. It can be as little as the extra change in the donations for the Salvation Army in front of the stores, a wrapped new toy for Toys For Tots, Adopting a Family - or if you feel so inclined - providing one or a few outfits to a family who is struggling to provide during the holidays. We look to you to help us help more people and spread the message of philanthropy through your family, your work, wherever you are. It's time we start taking care of the people in our communities. Let's provide them a sense of hope for the holidays.

Please take a look at our immediate needs list and see if you or anyone you know have anything you can provide for the child who needs that size. It doesn't need to be a multitude of items - 1 or 2 outfits would suffice. Let's box up as much hope as we can ship it out this holiday season.

In love & kindness,

No comments:

Post a Comment