How we work

We are an online community of kind-hearted individuals who directly donate gently loved children's clothes to mothers who could use a little kindness. The wonderful donating mothers lovingly box up the clothes that they once loved their own kiddos in and send them for another mother to love on her children via the US Mail - Parcel Post. If you are in need, know someone in need or want to help by donating, please contact us at kindness@passitonbaby.com. If you can't do any of these but would like to spread our message - thank you kindly! ~ Elizabeth & Heather

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Defining your role...

Please note: If this is your first time visiting our blog, please click here to hear the premise of Pass It On, Baby! and how it all began.... Pass It On, Baby!

It's nice to know that there are other moms and families experiencing the same struggles that Elizabeth and I are experiencing at times. This little world of Pass It On, Baby! is so important to us but sometimes life just truly gets in the way of giving it even more. We have allowed it to be what it is for the time being and hope to continue to help and support as many families as humanly possible for two crazy busy moms! :)

One thing that my husband and I have been struggling with the past few weeks since I have been freelancing full time is defining our roles. Now to some that may seem crazy and to others right on point but when I've been home more, my role was more or less to care for our son Cade, work part-time and do a majority of the cleaning and shopping. Now that I am unable to take on that role, we notice that aspects of our life are suffering. The clean home, the prepared (or stocked) food, a scheduled child, and so on. We have noticed that our roles have had to change.

I am not one to say that a woman's place is in the home but I will say that my husband and I have to designate our roles better. I see families that I envy where one parent knows that their job is the kids, the house, the home manager and the other knows their role is to provide an income. Although one isn't easier than the other and they both can be difficult in their own way, I must say there is some comfort or stability in knowing what role you are to play.

My husband works from home so he is now finding (even for this short period) he must re-define his role in this family, this home, our life in order to keep us sane. No longer are the days that our house is spic and span or food is fully stocked or meals are already planned. He is now taking on that role. And in the meantime, I am having to learn how to re-define mine. Learning how to let go of some of those things and be the breadwinner so-to-speak for these few weeks.

And when this freelance is over - we will once again - need to redefine our roles in order to make sure that our lives run as smoothly as it can and all of our needs are met to the best of our ability. I must say I do not envy the single parent families who must play all roles. It's difficult enough for me to play one or the other. I can't imagine the constant juggle and have much respect and compassion for those who must do so.

I am enjoying this shift in my role. It's allowing me to not only appreciate what I do have and what I am normally handling on a day to day but it also is allowing me to see my strengths. It is a reminder that I do have the skills to be successful and continue that if I choose. It's nice to see daddy handling some of those things mommy used to do and my son is gaining a new bond with him that he may not have had otherwise. Our roles in our family are important. Even if they don't seem so to you. Sometimes it just helps to define your role so you can accept and fulfill.

Have a wonderful day and Pass It On!

In love and kindness,


No comments:

Post a Comment