How we work

We are an online community of kind-hearted individuals who directly donate gently loved children's clothes to mothers who could use a little kindness. The wonderful donating mothers lovingly box up the clothes that they once loved their own kiddos in and send them for another mother to love on her children via the US Mail - Parcel Post. If you are in need, know someone in need or want to help by donating, please contact us at kindness@passitonbaby.com. If you can't do any of these but would like to spread our message - thank you kindly! ~ Elizabeth & Heather

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Share your Inspiration and Inspire Another.....

Please note: If this is your first time visiting our blog, please click here to hear the premise of Pass It On, Baby! and how it all began.... Pass It On, Baby!

You know, as you listen to popular music or some of the messages present in today's society - there is this big push to define yourself as having done everything yourself. "No one gave me anything." And while that's great - its so not completely true. There are people everywhere that have built us up to the moment we are at now. Friends, family, co-workers, social services...whatever. Sometimes it takes a long time to look back and to realize the sacrifice that another person made on your behalf. Sometimes it takes a long time to appreciate it enough to say that you, in turn, want to do something similar for someone else. Sometimes, it takes "growing up" to determine who you want to be and set about getting there. I am one of those people who wants to make a difference in someone's life. I want to pass along good. I want someone to think that I made their burden just the slightest bit easier. But, I am this person today, because of all the people that have helped me and unconsciously taught me to be just that. And, frankly, who loved me enough to still "do" for me and help me, when maybe I wasn't yet that person....


When someone helps us out, we say thanks - but sometimes, as the years go by, you realize that the thanks you gave was pretty minimal and that it shaped you in ways you would have never imagined when you were in that moment. Here's your chance. If you have someone that you'd love to spotlight - write a quick note of thanks and tell your story. It inspires others and shows us all how great people are! You can comment, you can choose to blog about them, whatever works for you. Maybe you'll just choose to reflect.....so here goes. One of my inspirations....Anne.

My husband and I married young - while we were still in college. I had my first son while still in school, and though we wanted to wait for our second son to be born until after school was finished - Someone Up Above had a different plan for me. =) Fortunately, I accepted a job in December of my senior year, so I didn't have to interview pregnant. I did, however, have to start my new job pregnant and immediately begin talking about maternity leave since I was scheduled to start in July and my son was due in October. I know there's nothing wrong with my situation, but it was uncomfortable for me and I was intimidated to meet all my new colleagues 6 months pregnant, just out of school.

Anyhow, my first day I started alongside Anne. Anne was from Brigham Young and I was from Purdue. We hit it off immediately. She was fun and loving, insightful and exciting. We became fast friends. We were both living in Michigan with no family around and new enough in town not to have many friends there either. Because of this, I started to worry how to plan care for my older son while I was in the hospital having my second son. My husband would be with me and my family was a minimum of 4 hours away. It would take them a little while to get there. So, when the time came, we took my older son to his preschool and headed to the hospital. Anne had offered to pick up my son from school and bring him to the hospital to meet his brother. She had to leave early that day from work to pick him up - which of course, she did without saying a word to me. She brought him to the hospital and then when he was tired, brought him to her apartment to play. She was wonderful. While I was on leave, she brought some adorable gifts from my co-workers to my home....she had organized the gift-giving too. I could go on and on about Anne, but none of those are the moment that I really want to focus on.

Eventually life went back to normal. I went back to work following leave, my husband was in grad school and we were making the best of our life. Life was busy with two little ones, but we were happy. One day Anne asked me if we had ever been out on a date since we had moved to Michigan. I thought about it for a second and had to say we hadn't. My second son was less than a year at the time and we had never felt comfortable having anyone watch them. She promptly said that was it and that my husband and I were heading to dinner that weekend and that she was coming over to babysit. I tried to protest, but she was having none of it. So, that weekend, my husband I went out to dinner. I can remember every detail of that date because it was so special. Anne told us she didn't want to see us back home before several hours (but that we could call to check =), so we truly just enjoyed ourselves. She accepted no money, said she was happy to do it and let two tired parents out for a night without worry. Everything was perfect when we got home. The kids were happy and well- taken care of. We were rejuvenated. Most of us would say - wow - how sweet or thoughtful....and it might not seem that out of the ordinary for those of us in our 30s. The difference was that Anne was 24. She had no children at the time. She just saw a need and reached out to lend a hand.

My second son is now nine. Neither Anne nor I work for that company any longer. We live in different states and don't see each other as much as we'd like - but in that same spirit she has always have, if I ever need a friend, she is there. She is expecting her first child very soon. I can't wait to meet her daughter this summer and more than that, I can't wait to tell that little girl how wonderful of a mother she truly has and how lucky I am to have met her.

My story is no different than any of yours. But there is power in each of ours....share your story. Inspire another. We'd love to hear it.....post on your blog and let us know or share a comment with us.

In love and kindness,


Email Elizabeth & Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment