How we work

We are an online community of kind-hearted individuals who directly donate gently loved children's clothes to mothers who could use a little kindness. The wonderful donating mothers lovingly box up the clothes that they once loved their own kiddos in and send them for another mother to love on her children via the US Mail - Parcel Post. If you are in need, know someone in need or want to help by donating, please contact us at kindness@passitonbaby.com. If you can't do any of these but would like to spread our message - thank you kindly! ~ Elizabeth & Heather

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Elizabeth....unscripted

Please note: If this is your first time visiting our blog, please click here to hear the premise of Pass It On, Baby! and how it all began.... Pass It On, Baby!


If you’ve read our blog even once before, I think you get that we dig charity and the whole idea of giving back. We heart kindness, what can I say? And I’m pretty sure that, aside from just simply wanting to help another human being out, I’ve touched on the fact that I get the whole struggle. I mean REALLY get.

I’m thirty-three now with five kiddos, the oldest of which is 13. God bless that child as I truly believe he was my destiny, and I thank God for him every day as he defined and gave me my purpose. Anyhow, with some easy calculations, you can tell I was pretty young when I was pregnant with him. Young enough that I was still in college with years to go and no real means of support, with the exception of my parents. I took a semester break from school and worked as much as I could to save up for expenses that I could only imagine, but even while working I didn’t have any maternity clothes. I had friends give me some baggy clothes they had (seriously – no one has maternity clothes in college!! =) and a woman I worked with gave me two outfits of her own beautiful maternity clothes to make me feel a little cheerier and get me through the picture-taking-plentiful holiday season. When Patrick was born, I was given plenty of cute outfits that saw us through the first few months. But, eventually those clothes no longer fit. I was young, working as a teller at a bank and back in school. I needed help just to cover Patrick’s formula necessities (this was WAY before my long-term breast-feeding days), daycare arrangements, his baby gear – not even mentioning his clothes. We did the best we could…but it was hard. I can clearly remember getting my paycheck from the bank and heading over to Wal-mart because Patrick needed summer clothes. I picked out a bunch and ran the calculations in my head -- $200. On my earnings, if I paid $200 right then, there would be very little left over. I ended up putting the clothes on lay-away.

The years have passed since then and we were fortunate. We finished school, Dave went to grad school, we worked our way up the corporate ladders and we added on to our family. But those times were real, and unforgettable. Now that I’m on the other side, its my turn to give back – to remember that time in my life, to honor those that helped me up, and pass it all along and help someone else out.

Looking back, I wouldn’t trade the struggle for anything, it defined my character. In moments like those, you either rise to the occasion or you don’t. But when you do, you find out who you REALLY are….and you will be surprised where the new road may lead you – after all, how would I have known back then that I would “meet” so many great people right now? *wink*

So – there you go. That’s why we do what we do. Because there are LOTS of moms who were there, and JUST as many who are there and they don’t have to do it alone.

If you’ve read some of our posts, you know that we have spread the love to a family out my way….but there is still lots of work to be done. Do you know of someone who could use the kindness right now? Don’t be shy – we love hearing from you, and I’m sure the momma on the receiving end would love receiving some clothes in a trying time. And all you mommas cleaning those closets – keep us in mind!! If you need to get that stuff out of your house RIGHT NOW and we don’t have someone who needs those clothes at the moment, I will take them and send them onward on your behalf at the appropriate time. Takers?

And about that child I discussed earlier, Patrick, the kiddo turned out A-OK so far. *wink* Here he is in all his glory….he has always loved cars since as long as I can imagine. Soooo – there is surely no better way for him to spend a day than with his dad at the Chrysler Museum.


As always ~
In love and kindness,




Email Elizabeth
Email Heather

1 comment:

  1. God! You got me all teary eyed! I hate emotion! haha..jk...What a beautiful story...I remember those times well and you were very strong and I always looked up to you for taking on that huge responsibility at such a young age. I dont know if I could have done the same. My kid would have been eating ketchup packets or something. And I am so thankful that we have Patrick-he has always has a special place in my heart! :)

    Good for you passing it on. It really is such a real and powerful and beautiful story. And it's yours. And I bet it's someone else too....

    Kiki

    ReplyDelete