How we work

We are an online community of kind-hearted individuals who directly donate gently loved children's clothes to mothers who could use a little kindness. The wonderful donating mothers lovingly box up the clothes that they once loved their own kiddos in and send them for another mother to love on her children via the US Mail - Parcel Post. If you are in need, know someone in need or want to help by donating, please contact us at kindness@passitonbaby.com. If you can't do any of these but would like to spread our message - thank you kindly! ~ Elizabeth & Heather

Sunday, June 14, 2009

The Path to Happiness....

Please note: If this is your first time visiting our blog, please click here to hear the premise of Pass It On, Baby! and how it all began.... Pass It On, Baby!

If you’ve read this blog before, I think its pretty obvious that I think giving to others and helping others is just a good way to live life and a necessary part of it all. I think its just one of those ultimate truths that transcend religion, and simply put, is part of the road to happiness. Those are some pretty huge statements, so let me take a moment to explain.

When I am thinking about others and truly helping them, the focus is off of me. It’s an escape from the materialistic climb that many of us find ourselves on…the new house, the better car, the nicer clothes. Goodness, it’s exhausting! You can never find happiness that way, but we sure try. You know the thoughts…”when we finally get that new car (insert any of your favs here – the new house, the Carribean vacation, the social club membership – whatever), I will be SO happy.” Maybe you will initially, but it only lasts for a moment. Once you are in that mindset of materialism and you reach one of your “goals” you just shift your focus to another one. I know those struggles as well as anyone, I fight the battle of materialism daily and sometimes I am just tired of the endless pursuit of it all. You know, tired. Not the physical kind, but worse…..tired in my spirit, needing time to get myself right and refocused. I usually end up spending some serious time reflecting on what is truly important, and you know, none of the material things ever make it in to my list. It’s the emotional stuff -- the time with others, time with your family, the way someone made you feel, giving back, lending a hand,….you know what I am talking about. Once I begin reflecting on the true happiness that is in my life, I find that source of peace that I am looking for.

When I am helping others, I don’t get that type of tired. I don’t need to take a break from it all, I am invigorated, happy, proud and thankful. Not thankful that I’m not in that position, thankful that I got to be there and help – got to make someone’s time just a little better. They tend to be the most peaceful and happy times in my life. When I lived in Michigan, I had the opportunity through work to volunteer for Habitat for Humanity. The day we were there, we were literally framing the house. I had never done anything like that, and it was really tough work, but when the day was over, I was surprised at how refreshed my spirit felt. Everyone was there, giving of themselves, happy to be there and working together for a family we would never know. We all wanted it to be just right for them. It was amazing and many years later I am still inspired by people I met and by the whole notion of helping others because it’s just how it should be! You know, those same principles on helping others and being kind that we all learned way back in kindergarten. Where do those values and lessons go? While we were in college, my husband worked at a homeless shelter in the evenings. Its been years since those days and an entire professional career, and he still considers those moments he spent with those men some of the most crucial to defining himself as a person.

Yes, life gets busy….but the truth is you fit in your life what you want to fit in to your life. We can all do something that helps another in some way, and in turn leaves you with this same joy. For me, Pass It On, Baby! comes from years of sharing my blessings and clothes with friends who needed them. I LOVE the feeling of sending these clothes for another little one to enjoy. The materialistic side of me tells me in the back of my mind to hang on to them, that those clothes are memories….but I overcome that side the second I get them ready to pack up and send, and I replace it with a feeling that there is a child out there that looks as adorable in the same outfit I once thought my own kids looked so cute in. I think about another mother worrying about her children having enough clothes and that though enough is motivation to do what I can to help. This is our legacy…..You know the saying “No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.”

If it’s not Pass It On, Baby! that moves you….find someway to be moved, to give back, to make it a little better than we found it. This lifetime will be what we all make of it….

In love and kindness,


Email Elizabeth & Heather

1 comment:

  1. Great blog. If you have a moment, I think you'll really enjoy this video -- ahamoment.com/pg/moments/view/203 -- it's the "aha moment" when a musician discovered the joy in helping others, and it changed his life forever. The site was created by Mutual of Omaha to highlight good works, inspiring stories, and "aha moments" of all kinds. Perhaps you'll even be inspired to share your own story.

    Thanks,

    jack@ahamoment.com

    ReplyDelete